DEMSA: Dual Enrollment Medical Science Academy
The Academy is designed to encourage area high school students into the health care professions by providing college course-work and health related opportunities that will motivate, educate, and prepare students for higher education in the field of medicine. With the support of the local health providers, the Dual Enrollment Medical Science Academy (DEMSA) will promote and participate in efforts that will reinforce the schools' and communities' commitment to prepare students for careers in health care.
What is the Dual Enrollment Medical Science Academy?
DEMSA is a two year-round dual enrollment program developed for high school juniors and seniors of the Starr County, Pecan and Mid-Valley Campus area who are seriously interested in pursuing a career in health care. The purpose of the program is to increase the number of rural area students committed to careers and service in Medicine, Pharmacy Dentistry, Nursing, Allied Health, and others.
DEMSA participants will be offered:
Opportunities to participate in community service activities in their community, in addition to the following:
- A year round Seminars Series program to expose and increase the students' knowledge of applicable health treatments and other professional skills
- Ongoing guidance, tutoring and counseling relating to academic and career choices
- Volunteer opportunities in cooperation with area health providers and facilities
- Test taking skills development workshops
- Opportunities to mentor with local health care professionals
- Presentations by health care professionals which provide students with information on educational and personal preparation required for pursuit of health care careers
- Field trips to Health Science Higher Ed. Schools and other educational institutions in and out of the Rio Grande Valley
- Summer part-time volunteer work in a health related field
- Continued student support throughout the program's college course-work
All DEMSA extra-curricular activities will be held at night, Friday afternoons, during the weekend, or during the summer, unless agreed to and in cooperation with the activity providers.
Who can participate in DEMSA?
- High school students in grades 11-12 (students may apply at the end of 10th grade year)
- Students should be enrolled in the DAP curriculum
- Students must have serious interest in pursuing a career in health care
- Students must complete a DEMSA application which includes writing a brief essay