South Texas College recognized early in its history that dual enrollment is a key strategy to accelerate college readiness for high school students and has demonstrated its commitment by waiving tuition and fees for dual enrollment students. STC is a leader in the State and nation in creating dual enrollment opportunities for all students. STC also understands that dual enrollment opportunities should be available to students interested in career and technology courses leading to careers in the applied fields. As a result of the College's efforts and commitment, the dual enrollment population increased from 8 students in 1997 to over 12,000 students in 2013.
- What Is Dual Enrollment?
- Tuition & Student Fees
- Application Process
- ISD Partners
- Historical Enrollment Data
What Is Dual Enrollment?
South Texas College allows eligible high school students to enroll in college courses while attending high school and permits them to take courses in place of, or in addition to the normal course load at their high school through Dual Enrollment Program.
High school junior and senior students are eligible to participate in this program and to receive college credit. Students admitted to the program must meet the same requirements as all other college students. College credit earned upon successful completion of the course may be applied towards an associate degree at STC or may transfer to other colleges and universities.
Tuition & Student Fees
- When the School District provides the instructor, tuition and fees are waived.
- When STC provides the instructor, tuition and fees will be waived provided the school district pays for the instructor’s cost and mileage.
- The School District is responsible for arranging payment to STC for the amount specified in the Course Articulation Agreement for independent students attending STC where applicable, and for high school sections where an STC instructor is provided.
Dual Enrollment Criteria and Steps to Admissions:
- Completed their sophomore year of high school
- Complete an Admissions Application at www.applytexas.org
- Provide a current high school transcript
- Provide achieved minimum passing scores for TAKS, THEA or Accuplacer or be exempt due to established THECB exemption standards based on SAT or ACT scores*
*Some Dual Enrollment courses may require different assessment prerequisites. For the complete list of testing prerequisites, please see your Dual Enrollment contact person at your high school.
Upon mutual agreement, STC's Outreach Department will assist with registration at the school district for all students who are qualified and who wish to enroll in the Dual Enrollment Program.
South Texas College has partnerships with 21 Independent School Districts:
- Donna ISD
- Edcouch-Elsa ISD
- Edinburg ISD
- Hidalgo ISD
- La Joya ISD
- La Villa ISD
- McAllen ISD
- Mercedes ISD
- Mid-Valley Academy
- Mission CISD
- Pharr Oratory Athenaeum for University Preparation
- Premier Charter HS
- Progreso ISD
- PSJA ISD
- Rio Grande City CISD
- Roma ISD
- Sharyland ISD
- South Texas ISD
- Valley View ISD
- Vanguard Academy
- Weslaco ISD